Monday, July 14, 2008

July is hard to keep up with...

Ah yes, the beans are going nuts in July! Check out the 10 foot fence above, these Vermont Cranberry beans are really taking off. The fence used is called a "deer fence" mounted between two poles.


The photo above is a simple (yet beautiful) bean blossom. In about two weeks, these plants will sport many healthy beans.


The Iran Pumpkin (sole survivor of six seeds sent via a Seed Savers Member) plant is now ready to burst free of its protective cage. I'm hoping for at least one pumpkin from this plant so I can save as many seeds as possible.


Now this plant is cool! I bought these heirloom seeds because I liked the "Moon & Stars" effect on the melons - hence the same name of this plant. But now that I am growing these, I'm smiling at the fact that the leaves have the same yellow dots when they're young & growing out.


My final comment for this entry is of the seeds which I purchased from Amazon.com via Hirt's Seeds.

I thought I bought purple cauliflower, but now that these plants are maturing, they really look to be more like broccoli... Huh?

I guess I will let them grow for a few more weeks. Looks a lot like broccoli to me so far.

:)


No comments: