Sunday, March 23, 2008

Forcing Forsythias

Back in February I had mentioned that I would update the results of my first ever attempt to force Forsythias, so I’ll start off with that to begin the March entries.




On February 24th, 2008, I decided to try my luck with “forcing” (meaning; to bring on an earlier than normal bloom by moving indoors) Forsythias. I had seen a program about forcing outdoor flowers back in January on HGTV and it piqued my interest.

Step 1: Cut about 3 to 5 branches 24” to 28”.

Step 2: Bring inside and cut the very bottoms again because just a few minutes of exposure to air can retard water flow in vase.

Step 3: Use a hammer to lightly bruise each branch from the bottom to about 3” up the branch. This will allow for more water to flow for a stronger bloom.

Step 4: Fill a vase with tepid water (cold water will make for a slower bloom) and add the prepared Forsythia branches.

Step 5: place vase in a sunny south or southwestern window. That’s it!

I noticed the buds bulging within 5 days. By March 5th (10 days) I had my first few yellow flowers! The photos below were taken on March 9th (14 days).



Even though the flowers are now spent, the small green leaves are a treat to view in late March. The branches are still alive & well in the two vases. This was a project that was simple to do and a great way to brighten the relentless, seemingly never-ending days of winter!

More information about
Forsythias can be found here.


:)


No comments: