Sunday, March 23, 2008

Starting Seeds






Starting seeds indoors is a cumbersome task unless you turn the indoor environment around to accommodate your seed starting activities. I set aside a section of the second floor which has two windows facing the Southwestern sky. I built a work table for planting the seeds and a dual set of free standing shelves to hold up to 20 or so flats of seedlings.


I say cumbersome because playing with potting soil indoors can be weird and messy! But I found a neat trick that keeps the floors clean by dumping all of my potting soil into a handy plastic bin.



No more reaching into a large half-full bag of soil, getting my arms dirty, then spilling half of what I dug out of there onto the floor!

The best part about the large sized bin is that I can use my trowel and fill flats inside of the container - no more mess! And storing the remaining soil is as simple as snapping on the plastic lid & sliding it underneath the seedling shelves! By the way, this keeps the moisture in the soil much better than rolling up and closing the original bag.

No comments: